I Got A Clarisonic For Christmas And Now My Life Is Complete

A long time ago (in 2009!), Holly wrote about her Clarisonic and at the time I remember thinking, “Ohmygod I totally want a Clarisonic!” and then I forgot about it and every time it came up in my brain it was just kind of SPENDY and it didn’t feel like splurge time or if it was splurge time that wasn’t what I wanted to burn my gift cards on.

MISTAKE. BIG MISTAKE.

mistake

Everything Holly already said about it is true. TOTALLY TRUE. It’s not often I find a beauty item (or ANY item) that lives up to and surpasses the hype but THIS IS IT. My face is totally different. And, to be very clear, I didn’t feel like I had BAD skin before. I just had my normal face and it was fine. But then I used this sucker for two weeks and had a NEW face and I thought that was pretty damn good. Amazing, even. But then I kept using it (I’m on week three) and I feel like I have a new face that is also TEN YEARS YOUNGER. For serious.

I use it twice a day with the Clarisonic brand soap stuff but only because my Clarisonic came with a free tube of it. I probably won’t be buying a new tube when it runs out. I normally use Cetaphil Daily Cleanser (different from the Gentle Cleanser, which is EW) and I think that would work fine. Any mild surfactant would do the job, I think. It’s more about the METHOD than the PRODUCT. This is the box mine came in:

11919787065_8c033028f5

When I asked for this for Christmas, I didn’t reallllly quite understand what it was. It was a brush..thingy? For my face? And it was supposed to be amazing? No, no, no. That’s not quite what’s going on here. You know those ultrasonic toothbrushes? (I have a Sonicare.) They vibrate at very high speeds and basically hyperbrush your teeth without wearing them down to nubs. Science, or something. When I travel I do not take my Sonicare and I use a regular toothbrush and after two days of regular toothbrushing? MY MOUTH FEELS SO GROSS. My Sonicare toothbrush is very obviously doing some high-end cleaning that is quite noticeable and I love it and I will never give it up.

Well, a Clarisonic like that, but for your FACE. Instead of manually scrubbing the crap out of your face with little plastic beads in scented soap  you can just vibrate the dirt and oil and makeup out of your pores waaaaaaay better (and gentler!) than occasional sand or microplastic beads can do. (Which, by the way, did you know we’re supposed to feel guilty about using those products now?  Yes, we are.)

My skin is every beauty product buzzword in the book: Brighter! Softer! More radiant! Fewer fine lines! Smaller pores! Probably more things I don’t even know about!

HIGHLY RECOMMEND for you or anyone you know who washes her face. Or his face. ANYONE WITH A FACE. If you want one, now is a good time to buy because if you go to ulta.com/friends you will get a 20% off your entire purchase coupon (starts tomorrow!), which is good for a Clarisonic purchase (or replacement brushes, if you already have one). (Huge thanks to Jessica for pointing this screaming sale out!)

I have the Mia 2, and I use the more gentle brush with mine and I DO like the two speeds, but I definitely don’t think it’s necessary to get New Face results. Choose whatever Clarisonic fits your price range. Mine came from Macy’s and had a bonus full-size Clarisonic brand cleanser, so maybe shop around a bit because sometimes you can find stuff like this since Valentine’s Day is coming up and usually there are BONUS! type packages at department stores around that time.

I also hear good things about the Olay version, which is much, much cheaper and perhaps a good gateway face scrubby thingy for people who are not in splurge mode at the moment.

I hope you like your new face. I LOVE MINE.

14 Comments

1. Jesabes
    January 12, 2014 10:57 pm

A’Dell, you are making me feel like a total slacker for not shouting to the world the awesomeness of my Clarisonic when I got it last year. I had similarly miraculous results, mostly related to acne reduction, which I attribute almost entirely to the fact it actually gets my face CLEAN. Through years and years of faithful face washing, often with prescription products, I don’t think I ever got every bit of makeup off. I should have been prescribed a Clarisonic instead of Retin-A!

(You’re totally making me wish I’d gotten the Mia 2, though. I got one of the Mia’s they were clearancing out when the Mia 2 was released.)

2. Noella
    January 13, 2014 12:18 am

Thank you A’Dell and Jennifer for the coupon. I’ve been scouring the web for one to use on a Clarisonic. I can’t wait to have a new face.

3. Katie
    January 13, 2014 12:35 am

I have one. I love it. I want the eye thingy next.

4. LizScott
    January 13, 2014 8:38 am

Ok , I feel like a moron but I need more details. Do you make up remove ( especially eyes ) first? Is it like a second step of washing?

• A'Dell
      January 13, 2014 8:44 am

Ah! Yes! I DO remove my eye makeup first and then I sort of swipe around my face since I have an eye makeup removing towel thing in my hands anyway. (I use the Neutrogena ones in the purple package.) And THEN I Clarisonic.

5. Alexa
    January 13, 2014 8:57 am

YES YES YES. I am on week two, having bought a Clarisonic back in 2010 in a book-tour-related panic, used it a few times and then promptly lost the charger. Well, a couple of weeks ago in a back-to-work-related panic I bought a replacement charger and started using it and it is a magical thing. My skin has always felt vaguely…rough, and manages to be both desert dry and have large pores and now it is so smooth I keep petting it (which I should probably stop doing).

6. Roberta
    January 13, 2014 11:20 am

I want one. New face? SOLD. (Unfortunately, while my skin was PERFECT during 9 months of pregnancy and about 10 months of nursing, it suddenly went all wackadoo, probably due to a combo of hormones and dry winter weather. So I have this horrid dermatitis thing that has to clear up before I start ultrasonically vibrating. Pttthfft.) Clarisonic should hire you. ;-)

7. Sara
    January 13, 2014 12:11 pm

All your emoting about clarisonic on the twitter MADE me buy it. I’m on Day 5 and it’s delightful! Smooth like a seal. (And got it 20% off at skinstore.com! Wheee!) Tim better watch out–Roomba next.

8. HereWeGoAJen
    January 13, 2014 4:27 pm

You were so right about the Roomba that I am now considering one of these.

9. PinkieBling
    January 13, 2014 4:56 pm

That’s so funny – I got mine because of Holly, too! She posted about it, and then shortly after she posted that it was 20% off at that drugstore site, and I snapped one up and never looked back. I have two!

10. Erin G @ebum1101
    January 20, 2014 1:04 pm

Okay I have wanted one of these for two years, no one has bought it for me off my amazon wish list, but after your twitter raving, I decided to stop waiting and I went on Saturday and bought one for myself. (A beautiful berry colored one, on sale because it is a “fall” color? Cheaper than all the other colors? SOLD.) I had an ulta gift card and combined it with that coupon you posted, and yeah, I love it as much as I hoped I would. So thanks for the twitter raving. :)

11. Life of a Doctor's Wife
    January 25, 2014 8:15 pm

Well now I want one. (Does it do anything for Newish Baby Dark Circles?)

12. Sheila
    February 3, 2014 11:45 pm

I bought the Olay brush, because thrice-damned adulthood/budget. I’ve noticed enough of a difference that I’ll be asking for a Clarisonic for my birthday or Christmas. Or if I find one marked down like Erin did :)